Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I pray that you will find something here that will encourage and bless you. I'm still new at this blogging thing so please be patient and kind. Please feel free to comment or offer any advice to about the blog and/or my comments... Thanks for stopping by...

Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Great Day All Around

Today was day 4 of my Lenten fast and it was a day filled with temptations and many, many blessings. Our church held its annual barbecue complete with chopped pork (cooked all night long over a wood fire), Brunswick stew (some of the best I ever put in my mouth) and all the other fixings. The smells of barbecue, stew, and desserts filled my nostrils all day long but by the grace of God and a whole lot of prayer (had to be somebody else besides me praying for me too) I made it through the whole day without succumbing to anything edible other than my meal of Stop Hunger Now rice. I will confess here that the rice had some of Mount Gilead’s secret BBQ sauce mixed in although even with the sauce on it, only one person was willing to taste my lunch. And by the way, let me mention and say here how blessed I am to be serving such a wonderful congregation who loves to serve. Thanks to everyone at Mount Gilead for all of your hard work and shining the light of Christ.


Quick question for you, have you ever noticed how many times Jesus is seen throughout the Gospels eating and fellowshipping with others? From eating with “sinners” to feeding the 5,000, Jesus uses food as a way to share the good news concerning the kingdom of God. Of course, he also talks about how we are called to reach out to others just by meeting their needs in various ways in Matthew 25. One of those ways is by feeding the hungry which is one of the main reasons I am on this fast for Stop Hunger Now (www.stophungernow.com ). It is my prayer and hope to raise enough money ($2500.) so that my church and I can purchase the food necessary to host a packaging event where we can package 10,000 meals which will then be shipped overseas. Each of those servings costs only 25 cents; five dollars would feed 20 people! 100 dollars would feed 400 people!!! Any amount can and will feed so many hungry people.

Would you consider making a donation today? If you can, please mail your tax deductible checks made out to Stop Hunger Now to me at Mount Gilead UMC, P.O. Box 72113, Newnan, GA 30271-2113. As always, I covet your prayers for me and the other three pastors who are on this Lenten journey with me as we continue to raise awareness and money for this great organization. Thank you for your time and support.

                                                             
I sure am glad this chopped pork and stew freezes great! Guess what I will be having after Easter?