Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I pray that you will find something here that will encourage and bless you. I'm still new at this blogging thing so please be patient and kind. Please feel free to comment or offer any advice to about the blog and/or my comments... Thanks for stopping by...

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Best Seats in the House

While getting ready for this week’s sermon, I came across an answer to one of the great questions found within many churches today, “Why do so many people sit in the back of our churches?” I believe the answer to this question can be found in the Scriptures, more precisely in Luke 14:10. This is where Jesus tells those listening that they should sit in the worst of the seats so that the good seats could go to the more distinguished guests.
I think this now explains why so many people are anxious to sit in the back of churches; they are doing it because Jesus had told them to do so. Isn’t that a relief to know? Of course, Jesus does go on to say something else after telling those listening of their need to take the worst seats available. He goes on to say that by taking the worst seats; their host could come up to them and invite them to move up closer to the seats of honor up front. So I guess that would make the pastor the host when applied to our congregations as a context. And if that is true, then it would also be scriptural for the pastor to invite those sitting in the back to move closer to the front. And why shouldn’t they be willing to do so? I mean doesn’t everybody want to be in the front row for the best of the concerts and sporting events? So if that is true, why wouldn’t they also want to be in the front row for the “Good News” of Jesus Christ? Hmmm… just something to ponder…

2 comments:

Sara Tate said...

I might bring this up in one particular congregation this week. Oh, and I'm passing it on to Craig. His ENTIRE church sits in the back. I've never understood why they do that. It'll make them think though. Thanks Dan!! I love this! I love you!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

What does it mean when people request the "nose bleed" seats in a church?! Hmm ...